A Travellerspoint blog

Morocco Day 2 (Part 1)

by Abby

rain 16 °C
View Koning/Zemliak Family Europe 2012/2013 on KZFamily's travel map.

Tangier: Hotel Continental Breakfast Room

Tangier: Hotel Continental Breakfast Room

On our leaving day from Morocco we woke at 8, or at least I did. My mom and dad were complaining about the call to prayers that woke them up in the earlier hours of the morning. But it was a reasonably relaxed start, and we went down to breakfast in a timely fashion. For breakfast we were served a variety of small pastries in a well decorated and ornate room. There was only one couple there when we arrived, and they were the only ones there when we left. I enjoyed the warm bun I was given, on which I spread French butter and jam, but the other pastries were not very much to my liking. Hannah was the same, but enjoyed a circular flat flakey thing with raisins... I opted not to try mine. But my dad was more than willing to eat our discards.

After breakfast we went back to our room and packed up our bags for departure. Because the only ferries running that day were at 9AM, 2PM and 6PM, we planned some more venturing of the city. Our parents had told us the day before that they had seen a flyer for an Anglican service that was at 11AM on Sunday. Hannah and I were also told that it would only take 20 minutes to walk there. This turned out to, unfortunately, be an inaccurate estimation. The route we took to the church actually took us an hour, and we ended up walking about 3 kilometers in the muggy rain, instead of the 1.6 kilometers we had planned. Although the streets have names, there are no signs of any sort that display the names of any of the streets, which makes it quite difficult to find your way around an unknown part of the city. We asked a few locals the way as well as some helpful police officers. In the end we were only 20 minutes late to the service, but weren't the last to show up.

I enjoyed the time we spent at the church, and was especially happy to find out that our theory of the vicar being Canadian (which we gathered from his accent) was true. He told us after the service that he was originally from Ottawa, but lives in Washington, DC, and recently bought a house in New Brunswick. He says he keeps a foot in each place, although I didn't see how this was possible, as he only has two feet and both were in Morocco at the time.



After the service we went back into the rain and my dad led us around to try and find the Kasbah, but unfortunately, had to settle for a mosque that we didn't know the background of. But after looking at our watches and seeing that it was already half past twelve, we decided that we should try to hightail it back to our hotel, at which my dad's bag was stored. We ended up taking a taxi, as we still didn't exactly know the way back. I enjoyed the taxi ride, as I hadn't seen the mayhem of the streets from that view before. He had to slowly drive down the one way streets that were packed with people and shopkeepers. At one point a car came at us from the other direction, and we had to pull over beside a car that was centimeters away, while the other car passed us, with centimeters to spare on her side as well. But in the end we made it safely back to the hotel, and gave our driver 50, well deserved, dihram, instead of the 40 he had previously asked for. But just as we started jogging towards the ferry port, we realised we still had over 200dihram left, which we would only be able to exchange in Morocco. But my dad was unable to get it exchanged back into Euros, so he settled for buying some items from a shopkeeper, which consisted of a pipe and two small metal boxes. But we were happy, especially once we were on the ferry, after having been held up in customs for an extended amount of time. But the wait was not our fault, just the people in front of us... we are perfectly good people with perfectly good intentions...

On the ferry, Hannah and I were treated to a sandwich, a bag of chips and a drink, which we inhaled gratefully, as it was already after 2, and we hadn't eaten anything since our small breakfast that morning. And the ferry ride went fast, as we played Quiddler, and even though I didn't win, it was the first time I had ever scored higher than my mother in a word game.

Score 1 for Abby.
Score 2,903,943,939,840,293 for Mom.

Posted by KZFamily 11:05 Archived in Morocco Tagged morocco tangier

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents


Hi Abby thank you for your report. I almost could picture myself being with you. From your description of the food I think I could survive there very well. I would not survive the long walk to church, no matter how nice the vicar was. It is a nice past time to watch people isn’t it? Opa

by G.Koning

Congratulations on beating your mom, Abby! And I imagine that pipe and those mysterious metal boxes were a cause of the customs hold-up?! Glad to hear you guys made it safely out of Tangier with all of your feet, what an adventure. And very cool to meet a Canadian I bet!

by judy Aalders

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.